Almost time for rewrites again and I’m getting myself back into the mindset for May Queen, my YA fantasy coming out next year from Dial Books for Young Readers.
As I’ve said before , music is really import to me. A song can encapsulate a feeling, a moment, and distill it so that even a few bars can bring memories and emotions flooding back. A song helps me key myself back into characters, their flaws and their dreams.
While I was working on Graffiti Angel, I put together a playlist, because music plays a big part in that story and is very much a part of the lives of a few of the characters. It worked so well for me that I thought why not do one for May Queen. I already had a couple of songs which had inspired parts of the story. Others sort of arrived while I putting it together, some I remembered, some new to me, some old favourites. So here it is. Quite an eclectic mix. Hope there is something in here you like.
May Queen Playlist
- The Voice – Celtic Woman (from A New Journey)
- Haste to the Wedding (The version I use is the Corrs Live at the Albert Hall with Mick Fleetward, as it has a bit more oomph)
- Irish – Goo Goo Dolls
- The Two Trees – Loreena McKennitt (Based on W. B. Yeats poem)
- The Seer – Big Country & Kate Bush
- May It Be – Celtic Woman
- Rule the World – Take That
- The Old Ways – Loreena McKennitt
- Book of Love – Peter Gabriel
- My Immortal – Evanescence
- Green the Whole Year Round – Celtic Woman
- Your Guardian Angel – Red Jump Suit Apparatus
- Love Story – Taylor Swift
If you’re looking for them, I have a youtube May Queen playlist here. I’d love to know what you think, and what songs inspire you.
I’m off to PCon for the weekend so if you’re there, say hi! 😀